Mini mushroom and sausage quiches are crust-less mini quiches that are very similar to portable omelets. Turkey sausage and sauteed mini mushrooms keep this healthy lunch light and savory. Small and satisfying, mini mushroom and sausage quiches are also a good finger food for your kids healthy school lunch or even for your next cocktail party.
Number of servings: 1 dozen of mini quiches
Active time: 30 minutes
Total cooking time: 1 hour
Ingredients for the Mini mushroom and sausage quiches
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 5 eggs
- 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 8 ounces of turkey breakfast sausage (you need to remove it from the casing and crumble into small pieces)
How to prepare Mini mushroom and sausage quiches
1. The first thing you need to do is to prepare all the ingredients and cooking materials you are going to use.
2. The second thing you need to do is to position the rack in center of the oven, preheat to 325°F. Then you need to coat a nonstick muffin tin generously using a cooking spray.
3. The third thing you need to do is to heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. After that, you can add the sausage and cook until it is golden brown, for about six to eight minutes. Then you need to transfer the sausage to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan. Then add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, for about five to seven minutes. After that, transfer the mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let it cool for five minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.
4. The next step is to whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. You need to sprinkle one tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each muffin cup.
5. And lastly, you need to bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, for about 25 minutes. You need to let the mini mushroom and sausage quiches cool on a wire rack for about five minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let your mini mushroom and sausage quiches to cool completely. You can then serve. Or if it’s for the kids’ school lunch, wait for the quiches to cool down before packing into the lunch boxes.
Additional tips and notes while cooking Mini mushroom and sausage quiches
1. When you are done cooking your mini mushroom and sausage quiches, you can individually wrap them in plastic and refrigerate for up to three days or freeze for up to one month. To reheat, remove the plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on high for up to 30 to 60 seconds.
2. When cooking your mini mushroom and sausage quiches, you need to use a good-quality nonstick muffin tin. It works best for this kind of recipe. If you do not have one of those good-quality nonstick muffin tin, you can line a regular muffin tin using foil baking cups.
Nutrition you will get from Mini mushroom and sausage quiches
- This healthy school lunch has (per quiche): 90 calories, 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono), 105 mg cholesterol, 3 g carbohydrates, 0 g added sugars, 9 g protein, 0 g fiber, 217 mg sodium and 108 mg potassium.
- Exchanges for your mini mushroom and sausage quiches: one medium fat meat